IESA PLAN FOR 2020-21
The purpose of this plan is to provide schools, administrators, coaches, parents, and officials
with a general framework for their sports and activity program. It must be understood by all
that this is a fluid plan and that at any time, the circumstances, guidelines, dates, opportunities,
etc. listed below may change any part of this plan. Specifically, if the Governor places all
schools on remote learning, all IESA sports will be suspended or cancelled.
Play shortened regular season schedules throughout the Winter and Spring
• Conduct Regional tournaments in each sport where the state series is a three tier state series
• Conduct Sectional tournaments in each sport where the state series is a two tier state series
• It is possible that there will be no State Finals if guidelines do not allow.
• Activities that can happen virtually can remain in their traditional seasons.
• Activities that can’t happen virtually could potentially need to adjust their seasons.
• Current IHSA Phase 4 Return to Play guideline in place for all sports.
Fall (August – October in traditional season)
Boys & Girls Golf- Sectional tournament: Sept. 9
Baseball- Practice may begin: August 3; Games may begin: August 15; Regional tournament: Sept. 21- 26. Season Ending date: Oct. 9
Softball- Practice may begin: August 3; Games may begin: August 15; Regional tournament: Sept. 21- 26. Season Ending date: Oct. 9
Boys & Girls Cross Country- Practice may begin: August 3; Meets may begin: August 15; Sectional meet: Oct. 10-17. Season Ending Date: October 17
Winter (Jan. – March)
Boys Basketball- Practice may begin: January 4; Games may begin: January 16; Regional
Tournament: Week of Feb. 22
Girls Volleyball- Practice may begin: January 11; Games may begin: January 23; Regional
Tournament: Week of March 1
Wrestling- Practice may begin: January 11; Matches may begin: January 23; Regional Tournament: March 6
Competitive Cheerleading---This competition remains extremely fluid. Decisions on the conduct of this competition will be announced later including the possibility of a later competition date instead of the scheduled date of January 23, 2021.
Spring (Feb. – May)
Girls Basketball- Practice may begin: March 8; Games may begin: March 20; Regional Tournament: Week of April 26
Boys & Girls Bowling-- State Tournament Series tentatively remain as scheduled
Boys & Girls Track & Field- Practice may begin: March 1; Meets may begin: March 15; Sectional
Meet 1A/2A: May 7-8; State Date: May 14-15; Sectional Meet 3A/4A: May 14-15; State Date: May
Speech—Each School Conducts its own contest any date from September-May
Chess—In-person State Tournament tentatively scheduled for Feb. 26-27, 2021
Scholastic Bowl-- State Tournament Series tentatively remains as scheduled
Schools limited to a maximum of 2 contests per week and no tournaments/events of more
than 3 teams. Exception: baseball/softball could play 3 games in a given week if one of the
events was a DH.
• If an Illinois COVID Region or County is placed in Phase 3 or lower of the Governors Restore
Illinois Plan, all sports for schools in that Region or County will be suspended or cancelled.
• Spectator and group gatherings subject to IDPH guidelines during this time.
• Regular season play should be limited to within conference, other schools in the same
general geographical area, (approximately a 30 mile radius), or EMS region only.
• E-learning students would be eligible provided the local district allows their participation.